Each serving of low-carb sesame chicken is 3 grams of carbs.
Ingredients for the chicken (serves 4)
- 16-20 oz chicken breast or thighs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 c milled flax seeds
- 1/4 c almond meal
- Salt and pepper
- Frying oil
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat a pan of frying oil to medium heat.
- In a bowl, whip the egg whites together with an electric mixer, until frothy. Add in the cream of tartar and then continue to whip on high until the peaks are stiff enough to hold their points. Fold the flax seed meal and the almond meal into the egg whites along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Coat a piece of chicken in the flax-almond-egg white batter and drop it into the oil, before moving onto the next piece. Fry the chicken in multiple batches. Using tongs, move the chicken around until all sides are browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Let the chicken pieces drain on either a wire rack or a paper towel lined plate.
EDIT:*This recipe originally included a poaching step before coating and frying. I've since found out that precooking is not necessary for the chicken to be cooked all the way through, so I decided to edit the recipe and remove that initial step.
Ingredients for the sauce (serves 4)
- 6 tsp sweetener
- 3/4 c chicken broth
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and let the mixture come to a boil before bringing the heat down to a low simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken before serving.
Nutritional Info (for the entire recipe)
Calories: 936 calories
Total fat: 47 grams
Total carbs: 22 grams
Dietary fiber: 10 grams
Net carbs (entire recipe): 12 grams
Protein: 126 grams