For example, when I tried spaghetti squash I found the sweetness to be too distracting. The same with tofu noodles tasting too much like tofu (I know, crazy right?). On the other hand, zucchini--when microwaved--tastes practically like nothing. And whatever flavor it does have doesn't seem to obscure the taste of meaty Bolognese or cheesy Alfredo, so it works perfectly as a vehicle for sauces or, in this case, soups.
This recipe is perfect for cold and rainy days, when the only thing to do is hide under a blanket and watch TV reruns, but even though the weather's been incredibly hot recently, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying this soup three times this week. It's a Filipino recipe, slightly tweaked so that it is keto-friendly. My mother made this for me all the time when I was a kid, and the other day was the first time I made it for her. Not only did she love it, she also suggested that I buy more zucchini to experiment with next time I go grocery shopping. Success.
This recipe has only 5 grams of carbs, and takes less than ten minutes to cook.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 c chicken, pork, or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Goya Adobo seasoning (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 egg
- 3 oz chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- Chopped scallions
- Add the broth, soy sauce, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, adobo seasoning, and ginger to a shallow pan on medium high heat.
- While waiting for the soup to come to a boil, slice the zucchini thinly into noodles.
- Place the zucchini noodles in a microwavable bowl and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, crack an egg into the simmering soup stock and cover the pan. Let the egg poach in the soup.
- When the egg is cooked, pour the soup, along with the egg on top of the zucchini noodles. Arrange the chicken next to the poached egg.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the now emptied pan and fry the garlic slices until they are slightly browned.
- Top the egg with the hot garlic oil and chopped scallions.
Nutritional Info (for the entire recipe)
Calories: 334 calories
Total fat: 19 grams
Total carbs: 7 grams
Dietary fiber: 2 grams
Net carbs (entire recipe): 5 grams
Protein: 35 grams