Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chicken Chicharrón (Carb-free, Gluten-free)

One of the best things about living with people who eat low-fat, is getting the residual chicken skins they trim from their meat. Usually I chop these fatty bits up and fry them along with my greens or my cauli-rice, but whenever I have something already in the oven, I like to add in a pan of chicken skins, just so I have something to munch on while waiting for other food to cook. A plate of Chicharrón is the very definition of fatty and forbidden, but thankfully for us doing low-carb, it can be a weekly staple.


Ingredients (serves 3)
  • 1 cup of chopped chicken skins
  • Salt and pepper 
  • Seasonings (optional, but I used cumin and chili powder)
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange the chicken skins in a single layer on a dry baking pan. 
  2. Take a paper towel and pat the tops of the skins to dry them. 
  3. Pop them in the oven for 10 minutes. 
  4. Drain the oil from the pan and continue to cook the skins for 5-10 more minutes, or until they are all uniformly browned and crispy. 
  5. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and your preferred seasonings. 
Nutritional Info (for the entire recipe)
Calories: 577 calories
Total fat: 36 grams
Total carbs (enitre recipe): 0 grams
Protein: 33 grams



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Sense Unit 1